How Often Should You Clean Your Home’s Carpet?
A thorough carpet cleaning is part of a smart homeowner’s housecleaning plan… but how often should carpets be cleaned, and what method is best?
As is usual with many of life’s questions, there is no “one-size-fits-all” answer, but “the dry guys” do have some basic rules of thumb when it comes to the care and maintenance of your home’s carpets.
Carpet Care and Maintenance
- Start off with professionally cleaned carpets, using a company that provides gentle, thorough cleaning with minimal use of any chemicals and water. “The dry guys” use the HOST cleaning system, which requires very little water to be used and leaves carpets feeling fresh and dry – minimizing the chance of mold underneath carpet padding and drawing out dust and grime from deep within fibers.
- Arrange your furniture in such a way that several routes through each room are possible. This spreads out foot traffic and reduces the chances of grime being ground into traffic paths across the floor. You can also periodically shift furniture just an inch or two in either direction to subtly change foot traffic patterns.
- Institute a “no shoes in the house” policy. Having a designated area for footwear to be discarded or exchanged for light slippers upon entry into the house will cut down significantly on dirt being tracked in from out of doors.
- Give rooms in heavy use a light vacuum daily, or every other day. Rooms that are mostly unused, such as a parlor, formal dining room, or guest bedroom, can be vacuumed once a week to keep carpets fresh and fluffy.
- Call “the dry guys” if a bad spill or pet accident occurs. Dealing with unexpected spills or stains swiftly can reduce the chances of permanent damage and extend the lifetime of your floor coverings.
- Carpets should be professionally cleaned at least once or twice a year; more often if there is heavy foot traffic or you want the floors to look especially nice for an event. Most homeowners settle into a schedule of cleaning once in the spring, and once in the fall, at minimum. This prevents the excessive buildup of dirt and grime and makes carpeting last longer and look new.
“The dry guys” HOST cleaning system is gentle, fast, and leaves carpets dry enough to walk on. This makes it easier than ever to schedule a carpet cleaning since you don’t have to vacate the premises for hours afterward or run huge fans to help dry out unextracted gallons of water. Call today and set up your own carpet cleaning schedule to keep your home’s floors looking and feeling like new.