How often should you clean your carpets? Like many open-ended questions, the answer is: “It depends.” Whether you clean your carpets the minimum recommended Twice a year or more often rests on a variety of factors.
How to Know It’s Time For Carpet Cleaning
- The color and pattern of your carpet. Pale, solid shades show dirt more readily and require more frequent cleanings to stay looking fresh and new.
- How much traffic your carpet gets. If you live alone and rarely entertain, your carpets won’t get as dirty as they would if you regularly host your teenage son’s hockey team for sleepovers after the game.
- Whether or not you have pets. Pet dander, hair, and accidents can stain your carpet and require you to do more frequent cleanings as well as spot cleanings. The Dry Guys can help you out with a spot cleaning kit and flush treatment service when required to get rid of urine crystals deep in your carpet fibers & padding.
The paths through your home. If the furniture is arranged so as to offer limited walkways, grime and dirt get ground into the same fibers over and over, making distinct dirty areas more visible.
If you experience lots of rain and mud, the amount of dirt on your carpets may increase significantly. This is especially true if you don’t have measures in place to cut down on tracked-in grime (doormats, a mudroom, and a no-shoes-in-the-house policy can all help minimize tracked in mud).
Twice a year complete carpet cleaning is recommended in most cases as a minimum treatment plan to lengthen the lifespan of your carpet. Most people opt for cleaning in the spring, as part of their house freshening routine after a long-closed up winter. The second cleaning is usually ordered in late fall, before the holidays, so the house looks and smells fresh for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s gatherings.
Other times you may wish to have your carpets cleaned include:
- If a pet has had multiple accidents
- If other spills of food or mess-making liquids have occurred
- If there are visible signs of foot traffic between doorways and furniture
- If you are going to have a company get-together or a party and want the best look possible
- If there has been a water leak or flooding that doesn’t require carpet replacement
Keeping your carpets clean not only extends their lifespan but adds to the beauty of your home. Even when your carpets may look fine on the surface, dirt, grime, dander, and dust can be working their way down through the fibers and causing wear, fraying, and degradation of the lower carpet layers and mat. Call the Dry Guys and set up your optimal carpet cleaning schedule today.