When water leaks or spills occur indoors, you must act quickly to help prevent the growth of mold. If wet or damp materials or areas are dried within 24-48 hours after a leak or spill happens, mold can generally be prevented, and complete drying with no growth can be achieved.
If a leak happens, call The Dry Guys immediately for water remediation. Getting your home dried out quickly is key to prevent or minimize mold growth.
Ways to prevent leaks around your house include the following:
- Clean and repair roof gutters annually. This prevents buildup of wet debris which causes wood to decay and allows water to drip down interior walls.
- Make sure the ground around your home slopes away from the building foundation. This prevents water from collecting around or draining under the foundation.
- Keep air conditioning drip pans clean and ensure that all drain lines are unobstructed and flowing properly. This prevents constant damp around your AC.
- Keep indoor humidity below 60 percent relative humidity if possible. You can check humidity with an inexpensive handheld moisture reader, available at most hardware stores. Condensation can be a sign of high humidity, so watch for wet glass on windows or doors and wipe down as needed.
Even if there are no leaks in your home, mold can still find moist or damp areas to grow. Bathrooms, basements, laundry rooms and kitchens are prime places for mold thanks to steam or condensation.
If you do find mold, you can call The Dry Guys for mold remediation services. Getting rid of mold completely and taking steps to minimize your home’s relative humidity can help prevent the return of mold.
Ways to reduce humidity around your house include:
- Using air conditioners, fans, and/or de-humidifiers when needed and as seasonally appropriate.
- Properly venting appliances that produce moisture, such as clothes dryers and stoves.
- Running the bathroom fan or opening the window when showering.
- Turning on exhaust fans or opening windows in the kitchen when cooking or washing dishes by hand or in a machine.
- Covering cold water pipes with insulation. (Rust is a sign that condensation is occurring on a pipe.)
If you find mold in your home, call The Dry Guys at 262-605-1290 if you worry it might be toxic. We can help determine what kind of mold is present, how to deal with it, and if you or your family are in any danger from toxic mold.